Getting the support you need:
Click on the links below to find out more about the various groups and organisations locally that offer support for families:
Is a directory of organisations, services and groups in Hertfordshire that can help you with problems you or your family may be experiencing.
Provides parenting courses that support parents, grandparents and adoptive parents in their local community to bring harmony, balance and enjoyment to family life.
Offer a free and confidential service to parents/cares of families of children. They will support you and your families with any concerns you may be facing with your child at home or school, however large or small the problem. They can offer anything from one conversation to a longer period of support. They also run various courses and workshops on a variety of topics that give you ideas to try at home. Telephone 01582 623676
If you can’t afford food, you can call 0808 2082138 (freephone) to speak to a trained and independent Citizens Advice agent (Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm).
Alternatively, please call 01727 811118 to speak to St Albans Citizens Advice who will be able to issue you with a food bank voucher if necessary.
Provide confidential help to people in Harpenden for bills, school uniforms and more. Telephone 01582 460457
Harpenden branch (Monday & Thursday 10am-1pm), Salvation Army, Leyton Green, Harpenden. Telephone 01727 811118 or 03444 111 444
St Albans branch (Monday to Friday 10am-4pm), Civic Centre, St Peters Street, St Albans. Telephone 01727 811118 or 03444 111444
Your child will be eligible for free school meals, if you receive any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit(as long as you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and you don't get more than £16,190 a year)
- Working Tax Credit run-on(paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit(with annual earned income of no more than £7,400 after tax and not including any benefits you get).