High Beeches Primary School

  1. About Us
  2. FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Q/. What are the school day timings?

A/. We operate a staggered start.  The children may come into class at any time from when doors open at 8:45am and must be in class by 8:55am.  The school day ends at 3:10pm for pupils in Reception and 3:15pm for those on Years One to Six.

Q/.  What do I do if my child is late to school?

A/.  If your child is late for school, doors close at 8.55am, it is vital that you go to the School Office and sign in the late book.  This is not just so that we can monitor punctuality, but is essential for fire safety and security.

Q/. How do I report my child's absence from school?

A/. Please telephone the school on 01582 767966 as soon as possible and on each day of your child’s absence from school; we have a dedicated answering service where you can leave a message.  It is very important that you let us know your child’s symptoms so that we can monitor any possible epidemics.  Please send a letter of explanation to school on your child's return.

Q/. How long before my child can return to school after an illness?

A/. In the case of vomiting and diarrhoea your child should be well for 48 hours before they return to school.  If you are unsure please call us.

Q/. How much does school dinner money cost?

A/. It's £2.35 day - £11.75 per week.  Payments to be made via SchoolGateway 

Q/.  How can I buy school uniform?

A/. Uniform is purchased through our online supplier Stevensons, either directly from the Harpenden store or by setting up an online account.

Q/. Can I take my child out of school for a holiday during term time?

A/. No.  No holiday will be authorised during term time. Any absences (other than through illness) will be recorded as unauthorised and you may incur a fixed penalty fine and risk your child losing their place at our school.

Q/. How do I apply for a place in your school for my child?

A/. For in year admissions you will need to contact the Admissions Team at Hertfordshire County Council (HCC) on 0300 123 4043 or email  admissions@hertfordshire.gov.uk  

Q/. How will I be informed if there is an enforced school closure?

A/. We use the School Jotter App to contact all parents.  You can also check our website for updates: www.highbeeches.herts.sch.uk  and the Hertfordshire website.

Q/. What do I do if my child is prescribed medication?

A/. Parents can arrange to come into school to administer medication to their own children if necessary. Only medicines prescribed by a doctor can be administered by the school.  Antibiotic doses that are administered 3 times a day should be given before and after school and at bedtime. If the medicine is required 4 times a day please ask in the office for staff to give any additional required dose.  For long term or ongoing medication, parents are asked to complete and sign a medication request form. Children with asthma, severe allergies, etc keep their medication in the Medical Room; these are given by a First Aid trained member of staff.

Q/. What do I do if I need to see a teacher?

A/. Teachers are normally available for very brief enquiries after school. If you need a longer appointment, please contact your child's teacher or the office staff who will be happy to arrange this for you.